Friday, February 27, 2009
"I can look at this face until the end of time"- TPC
I've being listening to Schumann's Romance for Violin and Piano. Yesterday, I saw the Divine Garbo in Camille. Not a small feat for my 19th Century heart. And I do have one. Oh Garbo, Garbo, what a husky sensuous accent ridden voice you had. There was a scene where she is magnificently dressed. Sparkling from head to toes, nuanced magically in black and white glory. Her hair is full of diamond five pointed stars. She is a vision to behold. I had always imagined her to be a close relative to Glinda, the good witch . Boy, did I ever wanted to do that accent. Glinda's I mean. It is so funny and lofty at the same time. It's a giggle. You see, I love accents. In fact, I have one. When I saw Penelope Cruz winning her Oscar the other night I felt validated. Her accent and mine are not that distant. Mine is not that thick, though it could be if I am aggravated or indignant. We have 5 vowel sounds in Spanish. English, on the other hand, has 4,526,231 vowel sounds. Not easy. Words like "sheet" and "peace" are a nightmare for me. They come out as something else I wish not to mention. R's are a problem too. In Spanish I roll my arse, I mean R's. But in American English words like "batteries" and "Florida" make me salivate in great profusion. After midnight, when my Spanish accent has overtaken any fluidity left in my English I sound like a sophisticated version of Sylvester, the cat. Or rather, like a drunken version of mellifluous Ricardo Montalbán (Requiescat In Pace). As I grow older I have come to love my own Spanish accent. It gives my English a melodic quality all of its own. I used to practice in front of the mirror for hours words like, well "mirror" to try to get rid of my accent. I used to imitate Tom Brokaw because I thought, good riddance!, that he had a neutral accent. One person asked me if I was a migrant worker from South Dakota. Whatever. Now, I embrace my peculiar accent with joy because it is uncommon, to a degree, and because I better do since I cannot possibly get rid of it. So, Q.E.D., me and Garbo do have something in common.
Thank you so much Linda and Steph for giving me these two awards. I feel slightly embarrassed but very honored that people enjoy my musings and writings. I've done my best to follow the rules. I must admit it has been a little bit taxing to copy everybody's URL link into their names. Yes one of those impatient days. Again thank you so much from the bottom of my heart.
Your Blog Is Fabulous Award
YOUR BLOG IS FABULOUS AWARD from Linda at Psyche Connections . So, there are a few things you need to do after accepting this award:
1.) Post the logo on your blog.
2.) Pass it on to at least 10 of your blogger friends that you think they have a "Fabulous Blog".
3.) Please link me, The Pink Cowboy in your post.
4.) Link the awardees as well.
5.) Let your awardees know you have passed this on to them by going to their blog and leaving a comment.
HERE are my FABULOUS COWBOY AND COWGIRL AWARDEES.
1. Ngorobob House: Life From The Hill - This blog is about what many dream, living in Africa and experiencing such beauty and adventure.
2. Sweetmango This blog is a combination of deep seated spirituality and beauty. Sweetmango is a wonderful artist. Her art has the energy of Mother Earth dancing in the skies.
3. Raph's Ramblings- The best blog ever kept by giraffes.
4. Garden Mother- Her narratives are full of intelligence and insight. She has a fabulous intellect.
5. House of Turquoise- Oh that color! The color of the sea. You'll swim in this ocean of turquoise.
6. The Holiday Queen- If you want to have fun and be creative this is the blog for you. Her creations are just amazing.
7. Life at Willow Manor- Willow you probably have 15 of theses Fab award. I don't care you deserve one more. You are elegant, bright and inspiring. You are an eclectic being like me so I'm partial but I still think you are tops.
8. Heartbreak Tango- Lights, cameras, action. Visually speaking this blog is like a theatre box. You'll read posts that are both analytical and keen.
9. I live here SF- Fabulous in the making. Julie latest project spells FAB! all the way. The City (San Francisco), Is there any other? and their people.
10. Musing From the Deep- Natalie "fabulousness" stems from her deep intelligence and generous spirit. This blog challenges you to think beyond what's common and ordinary.
Best Blog Thinker Award
“This award acknowledges the values that every Blogger displays in their effort to transmit cultural, ethical, literary, and personal values with each message they write. Awards like this have been created with the intention of promoting community among Bloggers. It’s a way to show appreciation and gratitude for work that adds value to the Web.”
I got this award from Steph at The Incurable Insomniac blog. Thank you so much for thinking about me, Steph. These are my bloggers extrordinaires I have decided to pass this award on:
1. In Good Shape- A very insightful writer. Her observations about life are always revealing to say the least.
2. The Weaver of Grass a wonderful blog from Yorkshire, England. Her beautiful rural images and narratives are both vivid and endearing.
3. A Majority of Two An Intelligent, thought-provoking blog. Jo is a keen observer of life. She is a great writer even if she won't admit to it. And besides she is Canadian and I love everything about Canada.