Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Epiphany Day


Today is Epiphany Day in Latin America and Spain also known as Three Kings Day. As a little child in Puerto Rico it was of the most memorable occasions to go out and cut a bunch of grass to be placed in a shoebox. The idea being that the hungry camels carrying the Three Wise Men were tired and needed to be fed. At night we would place the grass underneath our beds and wait for new gifts the morning after. I chose King Gaspar to be me my personal king, I would always ask him for impossible gifts: A marimba, a cellar, a real airplane and an elephant. Instead I got a reel to reel tape recorder. It was a strange gift. It was not meant for 5 year's old. When I opened the gift my Mom gave a "I do not believe you bought that for your son" . My dad taught me to use the tape recorder. I used this gift for exactly 3 minutes. I never ever touched it again.
So today saw me looking for the Three Kings. I found a queen instead. In North Park Mall to be precise. There I was minding my window shopping business and I saw a big poster of Dame Edna advertising for a new line of cosmetics at Dillard's. I laughed all the way back to the car.

2 comments:

Cynthia Pittmann said...

Hi Hector, this one didn't show up on my screen until today...strange hunh...
We had the sucessful arrival of the 3 Kings last night, they left a shinny-feathered (on black) tee shirt, a 10 piece grooming set, and some speciality chocolate-even though the kids did not go out and get the grass for the shoebox!

energizeyour life said...

HECTOR WHY DON'T YOU DO A BLOG IN SPANISH, AND THEN YOU CAN GET PEOPLE FROM SOUTH AMERICA AND SPAIN.

LOS TRES REYES MAGOS, DID YOU DAD DRIVE YOU AROUND LOOKING FOR THE GRASS TO LEAVE FOR THE CAMELS TO EAT. I REMEMBER I WOULD GO TO THE OUTSKIRTS OF BAYAMON LOOKING FOR WEED, JUST KIDDING,